Thursday, June 19, 2008

Food for thought...

These are some of Jonathan's mom's recipes that she used to make all the time. They are a favorite of our family, and we have had them for dinner this week. She grew up in Kentucky and has left a lot of her recipes with us. It is a great way to remember her!! I thought I would share some of her goodness. Now, these are definatly not figure friendly recipes, but homey and tastey indeed!

Homemade Baked Macaroni and Cheese

2 1/2 c. cooked elbow mac
2 T. butter
3 T. flour
1 t. salt
2 1/2 c. milk
2 c. shredded cheddar cheese

In a sauce pan, melt butter, add flour and cook for a few minutes. Add milk and salt to make white sauce. After the mixture has boiled, add 1 c. cheese to the sauce mixture. Mix until cheese is melted and incorporated. Place Mac in a 9x13 pan, pour the sauce over top and then sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake at 375 degrees uncovered for 25 minutes.

This is great as a side dish or a main dish served with veggies or a salad.

**************************************************************************************
Shirley's Marvolous Meatballs

2 lbs. ground beef
1 c. bread crumbs (or 2 slices of bread torn, or in a food processer)
1 c. chopped onions
1 1/2 t. salt
1/4 t. garlic powder
1 egg
1/2 c. apple sauce (don't use the kind w/cinnamon)
4 small can's tomato sauce

In 2- 9x13 pans, pour one small can of tomato sauce in the bottom of each pan. Mix the meat mixture, and make large meatballs (I use my ice cream scooper), place in the sauce, and then pour another small can of sauce on top of the meatballs in each pan. This recipe usually makes 24 large meatballs. Bake at 350 degrees, for 1 hour. When they are done, you can serve them as is, or you can add them to spaghetti sauce.

These are great with Spaghetti and Meatballs or sandwiches with crusty bread and melted cheese.

(I know it sounds wierd to have applesauce in with meat, but... it doesn't taste the same without it!! Trust me!) Julles can eat three or four of these huge things!

**** I hope you all enjoy these recipes, if you try them... let me know what you think! ****

1 comment:

Becki said...

Hey Jamie! It's good hearing from you. I'm glad you are doing so well, and I have to say your blog is very cute. :) Thanks for the comment, lets keep in touch k? I hope you don't mind me adding your link to my blog so I can check in on you all.