Friday, September 12, 2008

Good Touch, Bad Touch...

Since the kids have been learning about The Joy of The Body, Carrie had a week dedicated to keeping your body safe. She called The Child and Family Support Center here in Logan and asked if they had anything that they could teach the kids about Good Touch/Bad Touch. Well, they did and it was wonderful.

Miss Hillary came mon, wed, and today for a half hour each day. She talked to them about Good Touches... which include: hugs, kisses, high fives, and tickles; then there were the Bad touches... which include: hitting, pushing, and poking; then there were Confusing Touches... which she told them can feel good or bad, but ALWAYS makes our feelings inside feel yucky. They learned about Child Abuse, she also gave me a really good idea for talking about "private parts", which is anywhere your swimming suit covers. She read them stories, and had pictures, and the kids loved it, and listened and remembered very well.

Today, was the last day that Miss Hillary came, and she did a review of what they had learned the last two times. I was amazed at how much the kids remembered. She gave them a card with the Body Safety Rules on it. I thought I would share what those rules are:

1. IT'S MY BODY! I have the right to know ALL the safety rules.
2. The "UH-OH" FEELING: If I feel like something's wrong, then I'm right. Sometimes I need to ASK QUESTIONS.
3. I can say "NO!" to sexual abuse or to bad touch.
4. I will TELL SOMEONE if I am sexually abused or hurt.
5. IT IS NEVER MY FAULT!!!

The kids have these down very well!! I am really glad that we did this little class, it was very helpful, and taught at just the right time in their little lives.

THANKS TO MISS HILLARY AND CARRIE!!

Left to Right: Beene, Ellie, Cara, Caleb, Miss Hillary and her helper Meredith, Abby, and Julles.

1 comment:

Nate and Annika Phillips said...

Great idea to have someone talk to the kids about that. What a good, cautious, and prepared mother you are!