Friday, August 8, 2008

Does anyone know...

What kind of snake this is?? I just think its ugly and creepy!!






I was walking home from checking on my Keri's dog, and saw this little creepy guy sticking his head out of my neighbors lawn. I waited to see if it would slither away, instead it just sat there...I was not about to walk by it, so I crossed the street over one house and then back across to my house. I ran inside and told Jonathan to come out and kill it. (sorry to those of you who don't like that kind of thing, but I was freaked out!) Jonathan HATES snakes, so he was more than abliged!! I went out on the porch to watch and make sure he knew where it was. He found it and the snake had a date with our big square tipped shovel. He hit it and it flew in the air. He hit it a second time and it flew up again!! It started on the park strip, and ended up in the gutter. The mail lady was watching it from her little mobile, and she told him he was her hero!! She said that she was worried that Jonathan was charging out after me with that shovel!! HA HA!! He left it there to finish dying, and I was going to go out later to throw it away. I went out with my camera, and snapped a few pics of it an hour later... IT WAS STILL ALIVE!!! He threw his head at me, but seeing that he was kinda cut in two pieces, that was a little hard. Notice the blood on the gutter???

I know its not a rattler, but... there was one in Keri's yard last week! For some reason we have had too many snake encounters in our neighborhood this summer!! CREEPY!!! Last summer we didn't see any! It is still out there, 6 hours later...I can't tell if it is dead or if it is playing dead so it can get me when I pick it up!! (with the shovel of course!!) The tail got pushed down the storm drain... I kicked it while I was walking and I didn't see it until it slithered its way down the hole.

My Beene is fasinated with it, and keeps wanting me to take her outside to see it. She looks at it for a second and then says quickly, "Lets go back in, K mom!!" What a daring child I have!!



2 comments:

Laurie said...

I hate snakes too, so very very much.

That looks almost identical to a King snake my brother had when we were teenagers. Once, he was left in my care and he got out, and I tried to catch him from underneath the fridge, but I was bitten by him several times. So I opened the back door and was like, "See ya, chump!"

Anyway, I *think* that's a King snake also, which are common in this region, but are thankfully not poisonous. Or I'd be dead. ;)

Joel's Family said...

HOLY COW!!!! You are braver than I, I probly would have screamed and ran into the house. WE HATE SNAKES!! There has been a lot up here lately, it makes me a little nervous to let the kids play outside. Thanks for killing it before it made its way down here. YOUR MY HERO!!!
P.S. Thanks for the help the other night. I appreciate it.