Monday, July 7, 2008

Celebrating our Independence... Mexican Fiesta style!!

So, for dinner yesterday with the boys, we had a super yummy food!! I thought it was funny that we didn't have a bbq, or have something "american"!! We had Picante Shredded Beef, Spanish Rice and Refried Beans.

Some of you may know that I love to use my crock pot on Sunday's because then I don't have to spend all day cooking. I am always looking for new things to make in it. Well, I have a roast that I make in the crock pot, that I must say (and I am not bragging ;)) has quite the following with lots of people. So, I had a hinkling for shredded beef taco's one day, and my roast was not going to work... it needed to be more like Cafe' Rio! So, I got my frozen roast out of the freezer and made up my own little concoction!! So, the following is my recipe for this yummy meat!!!

Jamie's Shredded Picante Beef

1 large sized roast (I like mine frozen)
1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
1 small can diced chillies
1 24 oz. bottle Pace Picante Sauce (I use mild, but you can use whatever you'd like)
1 packet taco seasoning

The night before you are planning on serving it, place your roast in the crockpot, pour tomatoes, chillies, and Picante sauce, then sprinkle the taco seasoning over top of that. Put your lid on and set your crock pot to high. I usually start mine around 10 p.m. Then in the morning, take off lid and flip your roast over so that the flavor distibutes completely. Cook another 2 hours atleast, on low.

If you are going to use this as a taco or enchilada filling, shred it before you serve or prepare. If you are using it as a main dish, you can just put it in a dish, and let people shred their own. DO NOT SHRED in the morning, the meat will dry out!!

I wish that I had a picture of it, but it was gone before I could get my camera!! Have three starving teenage boys and two starving little girls don't leave me time to get to the photo ops!! But, it is mighty tastey and you should try it if you like Mexican food!! If you try it... let me know what you think!

3 comments:

Kendall said...

I want to try it..but is it really spicy? I don't do well with lots of spice!

The Johnson J's!! said...

Kendall, I don't think it is spicey!! I don't like spicy things either, if you use mild sauce, you should be ok. It is mostly just really flavorful!!!

Jana Nickle said...

YUMMO!!! Sounds great! Im going to try it this week! I'll let you know!