Thursday, April 10, 2008

Thank You All!!!

Thank you all for your kind words about my sweet, sweet grammer. It was very theraputic to write about the experience my family and I are going through. It was very nice to read all the nice things you all had to say.

Update: Yesterday we went back to her house because she had an ok night on tuesday night. We got there around 11:30 in the morning and the nurse came and said that her oxygen had dropped to 84, it had been 87 the day before. Her heart rate is a little wacky as well. She said that she is definatly in the down-hill slope of this life. My gramps cried a lot yesterday, it is so hard to see him cry because he is such a hard faced man. He has seen a lot of things in his life, he was in WW2 and had a lot of friends die in front of him, but this is something I have never thought I would see my gramps do. Gramps got out of the house with my uncle and was gone for a while, which is good considering he has been worried to leave her there, worried that something would happen when he is gone. He would never forgive himself for that. But, I think he felt ok leaving knowing that there was lots of family around. I went to check on her and she was awake, so I talked to her and told her that the kids were there and they were excited to be there at her house again. She decided she wanted to be up and out of her room with the family. Mom and Bret helped get her into the tv room, and she sat in there for a while. That tired her out so she wanted to lay down, but not in her room! She slept a while on the couch. I left to take the kids to Newgate Mall in Ogden to let them run and play on the soft play land they have. We were gone about an hour and a half and when we got home, Grammer was at the bar in the kitchen, eating applesauce and raisin filled cookies and some tissue. My mom told her she couldn't eat it, it was for her nose, and she had to fight her for it. Grammer got mad at my mom and gave her a really dirty look. After she ate, she cleaned up after herself, just like Grammer always has. She wiped up the crumbs and the spilled milk. I guess she looked at my mom earlier and was trying to say something and mom asked her what she wanted and she looked at her as said, "starved". They helped her to the tv room and there she sat with all the great grand kids watching Alvin and the Chipmunks for like two hours. She was laughing with the kids and trying to talk to them. She would get frusterated because she wanted to talk so badly, but couldn't get the words out. She would hold on to all the "littles" (that is what we call the great grandkids) and not let go. My cousin Mandi was sitting by her and she wanted to look at her watch, so she took it off so that gram could see it and she proceeded to pinch Mandi really hard. Then a few minutes later, my other cousin Rachel came running in and told us that she just ate the sponge we use to wet her lips down with. (it looks a lot like a sucker, it is a little blue sponge with a sucker stick on it.) So, my aunt and I ran in to get it out of her mouth and she was just a chewin that thing. We tried to get our fingers in her mouth to get it out, and she was so tight lipped we couldn't get her mouth open. So, Judy gave up, and Brad came in and used what he called "old dog tricks" and got her mouth open and she spit it out when one of the kids brought her a glass of water with a straw. I guess she was just really thirsty and was trying to get all the water out of there that she could!!! Needless to say, we threw that away and kept them away from her the rest of the night. We all ate dinner and figured she would maybe want to eat. They brought her out and she sat at the table with us all and ate noodles (that she poured water into and mashed up a cookie in it as well... yuck!!) She wouldn't let anyone help her, she wanted to do it on her own. It was like watching a baby trying to feed itself. She would laugh whenever my Uncle Brad was around. She obviously thought he was funny. She ended up eating lots of cookies yesterday and some cereal with banana. Mom and Judy got her in the shower, and Jana did her hair, they took her nail polish off, and made her all nice and comfy. It was so nice to have lots of family there again. It was good to see Brad, who drove from Reno all day. My cousin Brady is coming tomorrow, and will be there to help until Sunday. Grammer sure has a special place in her heart for her grandsons, since there were only three of them. We have a lot of girls in our family, boys are rare to come by. That will make her happy. I guess she slept really well last night and was bright eyed and bushy tailed this morning. My sister's Stacey and Kristy are there today visiting her.

Gramps thinks this is her "gift" that the hospice nurse keeps talking about. She said that right before people die, they will give the family and themselves a "gift", usually wanting to be out with the family and eating a lot. She said that you start to think she is just improving, but then within days they usually die. That is what happened to her mother in law. So, if that is the case, we were sure blessed with that gift and love her so much. If not, and she is just improving, then that is ok too. We cherish everyday we have with her and will never forget the memories that were made yesterday. We all laughed very hard and my stomach hurt so bad from it.

Thank you again to all those who left comments. Your friendships are special to me and I appreciate the prayers and thoughts! I also thank you for putting up with my endless writting!!

3 comments:

theamazingjohnsons said...

It's so great that you are having such good experiences with her. It sounds like she is a very lucky lady with lots and lots of people who love her. You can vent anytime. I am so glad we got back in touch with eachother. I had forgotten just how much I love you! :)

Anonymous said...

Hey Jame, its me Jana(just in case my signature doesnt show) anyway,,,It's been so great to see you all the last couple days. Its amazing how the family is coming together. We really do have a great one, inspite of all our recent and not so recent "bumps in the road" so to speak. I love reading your blog. I need to get me one. What a way to express how you're feeling, all your artistic abilities with cooking and crafting, so inspiring by the way.
I realized last night, late, (cuz I wanted to say as late as I possibly could),I dont even remember what time it was when I was driving home, that it was probably the last time Im going to see grammer...maybe not, but looking ahead to the next week, its not likely. Im so sad. It hurts so much. I want her to go home, to end her suffering, her humiliation, but im already missing her so badly. Last night as I was leaving, I kissed her head and told her I loved her and she opened her eyes and smiled at me then she looked off into the far corner of her room and lifted her arm and was pointing at something or someone and she said "Look!!!". I was amazed. I thought she sees an angel or Jesus himself. I "almost" wanted her to go then, to be a part of that, how amazing. I love her so much Jamie.

The Johnson J's!! said...

Oh Jana, you are exactly right. How blessed we have been to have her in our lives for so long, but she has something so wonderful awaiting her. I too miss her already, knowing that it isn't going to be much longer. But I agree with you that she needs to go home and not be so sick. I am so glad that I am at peace with her and that the last words she said to me, as well as me to her were I love you. That brings me so much peace and comfort. I have really enjoyed being around family, I have enjoyed talking with you a lot. Grammer was the best grammer ever and we have nothing but great memories of her. I get nervous going to the house to see her, not knowing what to expect when I get there, and then the past few days while I was there, I felt so comforted about the situation. Then, whenever I leave, I get really nervous and scared of what the night will bring. I am ready to get the call, but not at the same time. I love you Jana and am glad that we are family!!!