Friday, April 18, 2008

Such sweet understanding...

The morning my grammer died, I was laying in bed awake at about 5:30 and Jonathan woke up for a minute and I told him that she had passed. Beene was in our bed because she had a nightmare, and I thought she was asleep. Jonathan gave me a kiss and said he was sorry she was gone. Beene suddenly said, "mommy, does that mean grammer won't be sick anymore?" I said, "yes, my baby, she won't be sick anymore!" She then said, "good, I am glad!" and went right back to sleep.

I didn't think to really talk to her about what happened. She knew that she was sick, but I never said anything to her about her dying. I guess I don't give her enough credit.

Now, I have been talking to her about it more, since she is understanding things. I told her that we were going to go and say goodbye to Grammer today and she asked if she was going to be there. I told her yes and that she would be there, but she would be asleep in a casket. She then, of course asked me what a casket was, and I told her the only thing that came to my mind... a beautiful wooden box that she will be buried in. She said, "oh, to be buried in the sand?" I told her that she would be buried in the dirt tomorrow. She was ok with that, and then asked, "will I get to be there?"

I love my kids so much, and they have made it so that I haven't been a basket case all week long. They keep me laughing and grateful for the life that I have.

1 comment:

theamazingjohnsons said...

That's very sweet. Little kids know so much more than we give them credit for.