Tuesday, February 26, 2008

What a "joy"...


So, I started my turn teaching for our Joy School group yesterday. What a great time we had. There are 5 kids in our class, all of them being 3 or 4. There are 3 boys: Caleb, Isaac, and Zachary. Two little girls: Jillian (beene) and Sara. They are such great kids. They compliment eachother so well. Last semester I taught the Thanksgiving lesson and was not organized or really prepared. I would do my lessons the night before and I just didn't have as much fun with them as I wished I could have. There were lots of time outs and I am sure I wasn't as patient as I should have been. So... this time, I was determined to have a good time with this. I am teaching about Families and the great things that go along with being in a family. I started planning my lessons two weeks ago and was planned to the 10 minute increments. Boy am I glad that I did that. I had a great time with them yesterday. We laughed, and played games. We got bored with somethings and just started dancing around. We have to do A LOT of wiggles out activities, because they just get bored without them. So, I was asking them what their favorite thing was, and they said that the dancing was thier favorite part. So, on wednesday when we have school again, I think that we will dance around for our wiggles out activities.


We made Turtle Pages for our letter T projects, with 4 triangles because we are learning about the number4 as well. We also made a circle of friends, with all the names of the people in our class. They looked like paper dolls that were holding hands, and we made them into a circle. They started thier family books today as well, I made them thier own family books and everyday we have class, they will color one page in the book. Yesterday they drew a self portrait. It is fun to see how they see themselves. Next time they are going to draw mom and dad. We read Courduroy and talked about "belonging to a family or group". It amazes me that they understand certain things being 3 or 4. I always think, I can't teach that... thier only 3, but they always surprise me and know what I am talking about!


I just love teaching these kids and getting to know them. If you have the opportunity to get into a Joy School group, it is fabulous and a lot cheaper than a normal preschool. Next year we are going to be doing more kinder prep with them, and that will be fun. It is great to see them know what thier name looks like on paper, and the friends that they are making will last a long time. I love that there are 5 of us mom's so, we only have to teach one unit a semester. We teach 3 weeks and then we are done. So great!!! I am excited for next year because I will be doing two different groups. Julles loves it when school is at our house because she gets to do all the "big kid" stuff, so she will be sooo ready for it next year!!!


On Wednesday I am going to take pictures of these cute kids and show you how lovely they are!!

The above picture is of the first day of school. We were missing Zachary, he was sick. But, these are the kidlets I am talking about. They were at Isaac's house and had a great time. (from left to right: Jillian, Sara, Caleb, and Isaac) It is funny to me that at school, Beene prefers to be called Jillian. Anytime I called her Beene yesterday, she would correct me.

No comments: