Monday, October 6, 2008

Monday in the Mountains...

Today, in school the kids started "The Joy of the Earth" unit. What a fabulous time of year to be learning about this wonderful place we live in!! For our first day, Miss Gena had planned a field trip to Stokes Nature Center, which is right at the mouth of Logan Canyon. I never had been to this place, and I am so glad that I went to help. I learned a ton, and plan to go there next year with the our new group!!

When we got there, we parked at the start of a trail, and walked into the actual center. It was a great nature walk, where the kids were able to see trees, leaves changing color, and the beautiful Logan River rushing past the trail! We were very specific to the kids about the rules that they must follow while walking to the Nature Center. One of the rules was to walk in the middle of the trail, or on the mountain side... the left side of the trail is a really huge drop off to the river! Last year, there were 4 of the mom's that went... and it was scary to watch the kids get so close to the "drop off" side. So, that was a must have rule. After I told them the rules, I asked them to tell them back to me... Isaac said, "No falling off the cliff!" I guess if that is how he heard it, that works for me!! Anyway... the walk was crisp and soggy from the rain we have had the past two days, but smelled of fall... and that was worth the cold!!

This place was amazing, and kept the kids attention the whole time. Our guide was named Isaac as well, and so we called him "Big Isaac", that way the kids wouldn't get confused. He read them stories, told them about how the animals use thier senses, showed them some animal skins, let them hold a snake, and taught them about texture rubbing!! It was an action packed day, and we made it back to Miss Gena's just in time for lunch and to go home. Here are a few pictures of our fun day!!

Some of the gorgeous fall leaves that we saw and smelled!! The rain the day before made the fall smells much more "there"!!


The kids on the trail all decked out in their jackets and "view finders", they played "I spy" on the walk in!

The kids getting thier pictures to help Big Isaac tell a story about a Salemandor! They loved listening for the words of the pictures that they were holding... when they heard them, they would run up and put thier picture on a flannel board.

They had some animal fur's out for the kids to see and feel. They had a deer pelt and a wolf. I was amazed at how soft they were!! Did you know... Deer hair is hollow and that is how they stay warm in the winter??

The wolf head that the kids totally were mezmorized by!! They were sticking thier hands in its mouth, feeling its teeth and petting it the whole time. They thought the deer was ok, but the wolf was on all of thier top 3 lists!!


The snake: Can I just say how shocked and amazed I was that MY kids were wanting to hold it!! Julles was the first to hold him, but I didn't get a good picture of her with it!! It was just a little garter snake named Wylee... but I thought my kids would run for the hills when he got him out!!


The kids with Big Isaac getting ready to go!! We had such a great time!!! It was awsome!

Ok, this is my "mature" side talking... Don't you want a pillow like this on your couch or chair?? This is a pillow that reads: "Mammal Scat of North America" and then it has pictures of different animals poop on it!! Just in case you found some on your yard, and needed to know what animal it belongs to!! Are you ready for more "mature" talk?? They had a game to play, "Do you know your scat?", with petrified poop in cups with lids on them, and you are to match up the poop with an animal picture. Don't worry... they have a cheat sheet in case your "scat" knowledge isn't up to par!! There was some poop on the trail on the way in, and I couldn't find it on the pillow... we decided that it was "house dog" droppings!! Ok... I am done being "mature"!!

1 comment:

Kendall said...

How fun!! I love to go and see the changing leaves!! I can only hope that the palm trees will do me justice...I doubt it though!